- Proponents of such major development projects see this as Turkey’s march toward becoming a fully developed and even more prosperous country, saying a resource-poor country can generate wealth through large-scale construction projects.
- But critics are insistent that regulations are being violated or ignored, and the massive environmental damage these projects could cause will hurt the country even more in the long term.
- This is not the case with this old centralist mindset that exists at the moment,” he told MEE.
“These people [the government] see these big construction projects as purely a source to make money for themselves and those close to them,” he added.
- The construction of hundreds of hydroelectric power stations in the region is also a major point of contention.
- Local media reports say that work is continuing at some sites despite a local court ordering a halt to construction activity.