- “No one is indifferent to their strong expressive forms,” Bureau A’s Joana Croft Dantas told Dezeen.
- Swiss childrenswear brand L’asticot has collaborated with architecture firm Bureau A to install a miniature cardboard city at its Geneva store (+ slideshow).
- Created to scale, cardboard buildings of Bureau A’s city are housed on a circular structure made of welded steel, which has a clothes rail underneath.
- Bureau A was asked by child and baby clothes store L’asticot to create an environment that would reflect the creativity and playfulness of the brand.
- The studio responded by crafting an imaginary urban environment that takes cues from the architecture of the Soviet Union – examples of which were documented by photographer Rebecca Litchfield in her Soviet Ghosts series.
Construction adds 6000 jobs in July; unemployment falls to 8-year low
- The US economy added 215,000 jobs in July, while the unemployment rate remained steady at 5.3%, meeting expectations.
Health care added 28,000 jobs in July and has added 436,000 jobs over the year.
- Some commentators have asserted that the unemployment rate is a misleading measure because the post-crisis decline in the labor force reflects more than demographic factors.
- Friday’s report means “it will be hard to justify delaying an initial Fed rate hike”, said Scott Anderson, chief economist of Bank of the West in San Francisco.
- Economists had expected employment to climb by about 223,000 jobs, which would have matched the increase originally reported for the previous month.