Skip to content
- Ageing coal and nuclear plants have been closing in recent years, while renewable energy has been rapidly rolling out.
- Renewable energy has for the first time surpassed coal in supplying the UK’s electricity for a whole quarter, according to government statistics released on Thursday.
- However, the government’s energy statistics released on Thursday said demand “fell by 2% continuing the recent downward trend”.
- Nuclear power was third with 21.5% and coal – the most polluting fuel – fell back to fourth, with 20.5%.
- Gas-fired power stations provided the most electricity – 30% – with renewables second.