- Director of Listing at Historic England, Roger Bowdler, said: “The British Library is one of England’s finest modern public buildings.
- Colin St John Wilson’s stately yet accessible design incorporates fine materials and a generous display of public art.
- The Library’s dramatic and carefully considered interiors achieve its ultimate goal: of creating a space to inspire thought and learning.
“Historic England has had a really constructive consultation with the British Library throughout.
- This will enable it to go on flourishing as a dynamic public building, in which appropriate change is welcomed.
“It joins a select group of other listed post-war public libraries on the National Heritage List for England.
- Intended to move and inspire its visitors, the British Library’s London site is much-loved and well-used by scholars and members of the public alike for its soaring and stimulating spaces.