Skip to content
- For example, in South Australia and Tasmania a number of energy infrastructure construction projects are going ahead.
- This solid performance is a consequence of high levels of investment in oil and gas and energy infrastructure projects.
- Notwithstanding the aforementioned power station, it’s largely a different story in the energy and utilities construction sector, however.
- However, it isn’t stalling altogether and there are still some ongoing construction projects, including in Queensland.
- Meanwhile, a project to develop the rail infrastructure in Melbourne is continuing with an upgrade of the Cranbourne-Pakenham rail corridor.
- Ageing coal and nuclear plants have been closing in recent years, while renewable energy has been rapidly rolling out.
- Renewable energy has for the first time surpassed coal in supplying the UK’s electricity for a whole quarter, according to government statistics released on Thursday.
- However, the government’s energy statistics released on Thursday said demand “fell by 2% continuing the recent downward trend”.
- Nuclear power was third with 21.5% and coal – the most polluting fuel – fell back to fourth, with 20.5%.
- Gas-fired power stations provided the most electricity – 30% – with renewables second.