- Mass timber could prove to be a viable alternative to concrete and steel for mid-to-high rise buildings.
- We don’t see mass timber replacing those, it just becomes another option when certain parameters and goals apply to a project.”
- Called mass timber, the material is an umbrella term for large, solid chunks of panelized wood.
- Out of the mass timber initiative, CLT might prove to change the construction paradigm.
- Two urban building projects, in New York City and Portland, Oregon, will be changing their city’s skylines with an environmentally sustainable, cost-competitive building material.
The Big 5 opens today with thousands of certified products on display
- Counting both ongoing and planned construction projects, the GCC’s construction pipeline totals $2.8 trillion, especially in mixed-use mega-developments, airports and seaports, and transportation infrastructure, according to the recent report by Deloitte.
- “The Middle East is seeing nationwide transformation in construction innovation, with projects for mega-events such as World Expo 2020 in Dubai and 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar stretching design boundaries.
- The building and construction sector in Jebel Ali Free Zone (Jafza) has witnessed 74 per cent growth in the last five years growing from Dh10.7 billion in 2009 to Dh18.6 billion in 2014.
- Advancing government BIM mandates further demonstrate the Middle East’s desire to be on par with global innovators in the construction field,” Paul Wallett, area business director, Tekla Middle East, said in a statement.
- Among the top visiting countries to the event will be the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Iran, India, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Egypt and Pakistan.
BTI Systems Extends the Cloud to the Central Office With New Virtual Network Edge Solution
- The BTI 7800 Virtual Network Edge represents the third phase of the BTI 7800 Series platform rollout.
- At the Layer123 SDN & OpenFlow World Congress, BTI will showcase the Virtual Network Edge solution — in Booth #14 — by demonstrating a Proof-of-Concept with Active Broadband Networks’ Virtual Broadband Network Gateway (vBNG).
- The BTI 7800 Virtual Network Edge solution integrates rich optical transport and wire-speed routing with applications software in an open system that supports rapid development and ease of use.
- A new class of solution that capitalizes on a truly open architecture, integrating cloud/Web 2.0 technologies with a converged packet-optical platform, the BTI 7800 Virtual Network Edge enables next-generation broadband services delivery at the network edge.
- BTI is a market-leading provider of cloud and metro networking software and systems to colocation, content and service providers around the world.
The Legacy of Gego at Dominique Lévy
- In conjunction with the exhibition, Dominique Lévy will publish a two-volume collection of illustrations, texts and previously unpublished archival material.
“Gego: Autobiography of a Line” will be showing from September 10 – October 24 2015, at Dominique Lévy, 909 Madison and 73rd Street, New York City.
- The celebrated historical installation will now be re-imagined at Dominique Lévy, bringing together the original Chorros pieces.
- She considered her wire sculptures a form of drawing, writing in her diary: “Sculpture: three dimensional forms of solid material.
It will be followed in Spring 2016 by a second exhibition devoted to Gego at the gallery’s London space at 22 Old Bond Street in Mayfair.
- Having worked as designer and architect, and raising a family, Gego was already in her 40s when she became a full-time artist.