- Plans for a 1m sq ft light industrial park at Whitebirk in Lancashire have been approved by Hyndburn Borough Council.
- Property investor Praxis Holdings secured planning permission for a large mixed-use scheme incorporating industrial and distribution units, plus around 35,000 sq ft of hotel, food and leisure space.
- The 85-acre site, to be known as Frontier Park, is next to Junction 6 of the M65.
- The initial phase of construction is set to begin in 2016 with the first building occupied by the end of 2017.
- Preparatory works are scheduled to start on site in December and expected to last nine months.
One third of US construction market could be green by 2018 – report
- Green building construction is on track to make up a quarter of the US construction market this year, according to a new report from the US Green Business Council (USGBC) released this week.
- It forecasts the green building construction market will grow 15.1% annually – outpacing the 9% expected growth in overall construction starts this year – from $150.6bn in 2015 to $224.4bn in 2018.
- By 2018, more than one third of all construction will be green, the report predicts.
“Estimates of the economic impact of green building construction for 2015-18 show a significant increase in impact on GDP, jobs and labor earnings as compared to 2011-14,” the report’s authors wrote.
- From 2015 to 2018, green building is expected to support 3.9m jobs, bring $268bn to industry workers and add $303bn to the GDP, according to the report.
- It defined green building as construction that is sensitive to site placement, resources use and indoor air quality, among other factors.