- At least 107 people have died after a construction crane crashed into the Grand Mosque in the Saudi city of Mecca after toppling over during a storm.
- The mosque is Islam’s holiest site, and the tragedy occurred ahead of the start of the annual hajj pilgrimage later this month.
- The mosque is Islam’s holiest site to which Muslims face in daily prayers and a forms central site among the hajj rituals.
- Images aired on Saudi state television showed the crane’s metal boom had smashed through what appeared to be the roof of the mosque.
- Mr Al-Mansouri said the crane, which was being used in construction work at the mosque, struck a circular area around the Kaaba and a nearby walkway.
Art, design and architecture: what to see in autumn 2015
- The last British Art Show was the best so far.
The dynamism, unexpectedness and sheer abundance of the art market makes these art fairs a window on the new – and the old.
- Jonathan Jones
Groundbreaking attempt to place pop art in its global context or another rehash of familiar names and images?
- This long-overdue survey should allow us to focus more on the art, less on the man.
- The spiritual art of the past echoes in his work – martyrs, triptychs, meditation, all that sacred jazz.