- Geographically, satisfaction with the beauty of the local area was almost 30 percentage points higher in the South West than in the Midlands.
“Why has planning and development policy failed us so markedly?”
The situation appears to be accepted due to a pessimistic notion that beauty is unaffordable.
- Beauty for the many not just the few
Any councillor that starts talking about beauty at a planning meeting can expect to encounter much disapproval and sucking of teeth from planning officers who consider themselves to be on an ideological mission to defeat the concept.
- But architecture represents a divide:
“Our poll for instance finds both social and geographic splits in access to beauty.
- Among respondents with household income between £15,000 and £20,000, satisfaction with the beauty of the local area was over 13 percentage points lower than among respondents of household income over £100,000.
- But a research paper from Respublica reflects on the class divide regarding beauty.