- It will house over 200,000 pieces of postwar and contemporary art from the collections of Eli and Edythe Broad, who also backed the Zaha Hadid-designed Edythe and Eli Broad Art Museum in Michigan, which opened in 2012.
- Instagram users and officials from the Broad have been posting images of the building, including glimpses of the interior, as it readies to open.
- The images offer a preview of the structure designed by the New York architecture firm, well ahead of the publication of official photography.
- Frank Gehry’s new headquarters for Facebook debuted on Instagram, with visitors posting images during the building’s preview before pictures were issued for publication.
- The building will also become the new home for the Broad Foundation, which is currently based in Santa Monica.
Tag: New York
Police: Construction crooner found dead in apparent suicide
This story has been corrected to show that Russo’s body was found one month, not two months, after he went missing.
- Four years after Gary Russo’s brush with fame, the “Second Avenue Sinatra” vanished without a trace after leaving his home shortly after midnight on July 28.
- NEW YORK (AP) — A karaoke-loving ironworker who briefly became a New York sensation for his serenades from a subway construction site has been found dead in an apparent suicide, a month after he disappeared from his Queens neighborhood, police said Friday.
- Earlier this month, Russo’s car was found abandoned in the same neighborhood.
- Russo was helping build the future Second Avenue subway under Manhattan’s Upper East Side in late July 2011 when he began using his lunch breaks to start singing in public, serenading onlookers.
Victor Enrich manipulates photography to relocate NY gallery
- While the pavilion looks largely unchanged, the Storefront gallery has been reorganised so that its ground-level facade is now at the top.
- Spanish photographer Victor Enrich has used digital manipulation to splice together two buildings – the Storefront for Art & Architecture gallery in New York and the Spanish Republic Pavilion from the 1937 Paris Expo.
- To demonstrate this, Enrich used digital modelling to combine the two buildings – creating an impossible hybrid structure connected by a single column.
- The exhibition is entitled Measure, so Enrich has developed a fictional scenario where the New York gallery becomes the basis of a new unit of measuring.
- Storefront made the news earlier this year when a facade installation created by architecture studio SO-IL was vandalised.