- After the quakes hit Nepal, Ban said Nepali students in Tokyo and his friends around the world hastened to raise funds for his project.
- Construction workers make the final touches to a prototype house of the Nepal House Project designed by Japanese architect Shigeru Ban in Kathmandu October 15, 2015.
- Renowned Japanese architect Shigeru Ban – who helped bring global attention to humanitarian architecture and continues to influence fellow architects and disaster-relief workers – devised a solution.
- The prototype for his latest humanitarian housing project in Nepal consists of standard timber door frames joined together and reinforced with plywood.
- His initial goal to build 30 homes in Phatakshila in the Sindhupalchok district in central Nepal in the coming months is moving forward.
Japan Picks New Olympic Stadium Design
- Japan’s then-education and sports minister, Hakubun Shimomoura, offered to resign over the cancellation of the first stadium design.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has announced architect Kengo Kuma as the victor of a second design competition for the new Tokyo Olympic Stadium.
- The previously finalized design had a lofty price tag of 252 billion yen ($2.1 billion), which came under heavy criticism.
- A new plan was needed after the design by London-based Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid was called off due to ballooning costs of 265.1 billion yen.
- Earlier this month, the Japan Sports Council released two new bids, initially kept anonymous but widely believed to be the work of Toyo Ito and Kengo Kuma, submitted in concert with leading Japanese construction firms.
Major Exhibition on Frank Gehry Opens at 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT
Architect Frank Gehry “I Have an Idea” runs October 16, 2015 through February 7, 2016 at 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, Tokyo.
- This autumn, Tokyo’s 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT museum is presenting a major exhibition on Frank Gehry’s stunning, yet often controversial, ideas of architecture.
- The person of Frank Gehry, his inspiration, design processes, craftsmanship, and struggles – all will be explored in this unmissable exhibition.
- Ontario-born Frank Gehry has been called ‘the most important architect of our time’ by Vanity Fair.
- A stupid idea, but you like it.
NTE Energy Closes Financing for 475 MW PJM Project in Ohio
- NTE Energy, a power developer and energy services provider, announced today that its affiliate NTE Ohio, LLC (“NTE”), has successfully closed $645 million in project financing for construction and operation of its Middletown Energy Center.
- NTE Energy, through its affiliates, develops and acquires strategically located electric generation and transmission facilities within North America.
- Capital Dynamics’ CEI team holds extensive expertise in investing, financing, owning and operating conventional and clean energy businesses globally.
- NTE Energy, through its affiliates, is actively developing three projects located in West Texas, Southwest Ohio, and North Carolina as well as pursuing early-stage opportunities in several other locations.
- The team executes all aspects of project development, from initial market and site evaluations and permitting to financing, construction and operation.
AYS Ventures forms JV to cash in on Tokyo Olympics
- PETALING JAYA: AYS Ventures Bhd has set up a jointventure company with Japanese firms Okaya & Co Ltd and Kondo Steel Corp from Japan to cash in on the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
- AYS Ventures and Kondo Steel will each have a 45% stake in the new company while Okaya & Co will hold a 6% stake and Okaya International (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd will hold the remaining 4%.
Oh said AYS Ventures is confident of further collaboration with the Japanese firms and is looking into potential collaboration in various value-added services.
- When the new regulation comes in 2018, we continue to support the industry, expand our business to this country.
- Okaya International (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd managing director Takaya Wada said the Olympic Games is a big project and Japanese construction firms that are preparing for the project will need technologies including Building Information Modeling (BIM) technology.
“Our function here is supporting Japanese construction.